Friday, August 15, 2014

Exploring Kansas City - The Kansas City Library Central Branch


I admit it.  So far, I've been horrible at updating our adventures.  I know exactly why, and I'm hoping as we hit the road it'll get easier....
We have spent the summer exploring the Kansas City sites.  I figured, while we were waiting for the house to sell, we needed to take advantage of the situation and explore the places I've been wanting to see, but haven't in the four years that we've been living in (near) this beautiful city.  So one day, about a month ago, the kids and I headed downtown to explore the Kansas City Public Library's Central Branch.  



What fun to be a kid!



The building is BEAUTIFUL!!  Now, I didn't take the time to really document the architecture, as I was focused on the kids, but wow.  It really is something to see.  The staff, from the security guards to the librarians, were all so friendly and helpful.  I'll admit, I'm not an inner city girl, and when I walked in and saw all the security, it made me nervous.  I think it was because I didn't expect it, more than anything.  It ended up being a blessing though as we were leaving because I got a creeper vibe from someone walking out..... and then standing.... right behind us, so we hung out by the door for a few minutes since I knew there was security within 20-30 feet of us.  

Anyway, during our visit we took a trip to the children's floor.  The kids spent a little time exploring the computers, and then we sat down for our own private story time.


After we were finished reading, we went up to the roof for some life-sized chess!






Our winner!


While we were touring the library, we also learned about a program granted through Harvester's that provides free lunch for kids through the summer!  Now, I will admit, I felt really guilty letting my kids eat this lunch.  I think it is a fantastic program.  A safe place, in the inner city, filled with books and intrigue, that provides free food for kids!  FABULOUS!!  I felt guilty though because I didn't want my kids to take meals away from those kids who might not have the resources to have lunch every day.  The librarian was excited, my kids were excited, so I went with it.  I made sure we gave back though, because I truly do feel that it is a worthy cause.  If you'd like to donate your time or money to Harvester's, you can follow this link.

If you are interested in visiting this library, here is the link to their website.  If you do go, make sure to tell Clare, the children's librarian, that we sent you!



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment